Canvas is the University of Sunderland’s cloud-based online study platform, supporting both on-campus teaching and online distance learning courses. It is a web-based service where students can find materials for their course and interactive features such as online tests and discussion forums.
The Canvas easily connects educators and students and is used to monitor grades, and manage active enrollments and assignment submissions. To use Canvas, you need to enter your username and password. Every University of Sunderland student is provided with a student id that can be used to access all the university learning management systems and other course material for use through their program years at the university.
How to Use University of Sunderland Canvas
The Canvas University of Sunderland connects teachers and students and it facilitates message correspondence between students and teachers but as a student, you need to create an account by using an invitation code sent to you by your teacher.
If you do not already have the University of Sunderland student account, you need to create it before you can access the Canvas student portal.
If you are using Canvas through the University of Sunderland, you may already have an account and only need to accept a course invitation. You’ll receive your login information from the University after your enrollment has been processed.
You can also create a student account when you accept the course invitation if you do not already have one. Here is how to sign up for University of Sunderland Canvas account.
How to Create Canvas Student Account
To sign up University of Sunderland Canvas account, your educator will provide you with a join code to link you directly to the course. You’ll receive this code directly from the Canvas email that invites you to join the course, but if you don’t yet have an account, you can set one up for yourself without an email link.
1. To sign up for a student account, open a browser and enter https://sj.sunderland.ac.uk/student-information/university-systems/canvas/ into your browser.
2. Remember you must have a join code from the University of Sunderland to create your account.
3. Click the Need a Canvas Account? link once the page opens.
4. Two options will appear, “Sign Up As a Teacher” and “Sign Up As a Student” click the “I’m a Student” button.
Fill in the following fields:
- Enter the course join code in the Join Code field. This code will be sent to you by the University of Sunderland school, the email is different from your email invitation to join the course.
- Enter your name in the following field.
- Enter your username in the Username field.
- Create your password in the Password field.
- Confirm your password by typing and repeating your password in the Confirm Password field.
6. Complete the Captcha to confirm that you are not a robot (if enabled by the University of Sunderland).
Then, click the Start Learning button to complete your sign up.
If you have not received your join code via email and you want to create an account in the Canvas student portal please contact IT for help with logging in.
How to Accept Canvas Course Invitations
To join the University of Sunderland Canvas course, you will receive an email that contains the Canvas URL including the email address to use for your login.
1. In order to accept the course invitation, click the “Get Started” button.
2. Canvas will redirect you to your course and request you to accept the enrollment. Click the “Accept” button.
3. If you do not have an account, you’ll be asked to sign up. But if you already have a Canvas account, you only need to click the “I Have a Canvas Account” button. You’ll be taken to the Canvas login page where you enter your username and password.
Canvas Sunderland App
The University of Sunderland Canvas student App allows the student to manage their courses and easily interact with their teachers, and submit assignments. The app can be downloaded from IOS and Android Stores.
Canvas app download:
1. Once you are in the “apple app” or ‘Google play store, type in “Canvas” into the search box.
2. Tap Install and wait for the app to download.
3. Tap “open” once finished downloading.
4. Enter ‘University of Sunderland’ in the school search box.
5. Then select “University of Sunderland “shown under.
5. Select “University of Sunderland” and click “Web Login”
7. Select ‘Agree’
8. Then the Canvas app will open the page where you’ll find all your modules.
My Sunderland Library
The University of Sunderland Library Building Gives a comfortable, flexible study environment and offers a number of excellent learning resources, collections of information sources, and access to experts’ help, advice, and recommendations.
Students can sign in to Library Account online to renew any books they have borrowed (online), check the details of any books they have borrowed over the last couple of months, or check the status of any book reservations they have made.
To login the library you can:
- Log in using your University of Sunderland username and password.
- Log in using your ID card number and library PIN.
University of Sunderland Timetable
University of Sunderland Student timetable is always made available two weeks prior to the start of their first module. To see your timetable:
1. Sign to the Student Portal and click on the MyTimetable tab.
2. Fill in your regular University of Sunderland Student IT User Account. Your IT user is the eight-digit University of Sunderland student ID number.
3. Enter your student password. You can see your timetable.
University of Sunderland Email Login
The student email is hosted by Microsoft Outlook.
1. To Log into the University of Sunderland email first sign in to the student portal or click on this link to visit the Microsoft Outlook login page
2. Once you log in, click on “My email”.
3. Click on the Student id tab and type your eight-digit Student ID number.
4. In the Password box enter your current network password.