Kahoot is an online game-based learning platform that allows teachers, schools, and parents to set up fun web-based learning for learning students. It helps students achieve their learning objectives in and outside face-to-face teaching. But before you start using Kahoot you need to understand the Pros and Cons.
The idea that revolves around using Kahoot is to create a learning session with problem-solving. As a teacher or parent, you can provide a student-paced code and they can access the Kahoot lesson at home, or anywhere with an internet connection.
- It lets teachers and parents Host Kahoot live in class or via video conferencing.
- Display questions and answers on students’ devices.
- It lets educators assign student-paced challenges for review or homework.
- Kahoot allows students to play individually or in teams.
- Add multiple choice quiz questions.
- It draws attention to true/false questions.
Pros and Cons of Kahoot
Pros and Cons are for arguments and against Kahoot game-based learning. We’d best weigh all the pros and cons before we proceed to teach you how to use Kahoot
Pros of Kahoot
1. Kahoot gives teachers opportunities to provide immediate feedback and lets them know where reteaching would benefit students.
2. Kahoot helps with problem-solving.
3. Encourages critical thinking.
4. Addresses special education needs.
5. It increases student engagement and motivation.
6. It introduces situational learning.
On the other hand, not everyone is convinced of game-based learning like Kahoot. The aim of Kahoot was never to replace teachers and traditional learning, but to add to it positively.
Cons of Kahoot
Depending on your personal teaching approaches or a student’s individual learning style, Kahoot has some cons.
One of the cons is that each student must have a laptop in order to use Kahoot. Laptops are not always available, and technology sometimes fails. Moreover, it can be time-consuming to distribute laptops and get students logged in to the site. Setting up a routine and getting students used to Kahoot early in the school year can be helpful.
Another Kahoot disadvantage is that some of the important features are not available with the free version. Kahoot Plus for $10 per month, Kahoot Pro for $20 per month, and Kahoot Premium for $40 per month, and these give access to extra features
Kahoot subscription is a hefty $120, $240, and $440 respectively per year and comes with all of the premium features, plus access to thousands of ready-to-teach lessons for all grade levels. For teachers who use Kahoot often enough, it may be a worthwhile investment.
Other cons of Kahoot are:
1. Too much screen time on the computer screen.
2. Games aren’t always created equally.
3 Kahoot games can be a source of distraction.
4. Kahoot doesn’t replace traditional learning strategies.
4. Not always aligned to teaching or learning goals.
Much still has to be done about Kahoot game-based learning and, if not implemented effectively, teachers and students can have a poor experience. It’ll take more time than some competitors to get comfortable, thus, content filters could be better.
Kahoot How to Use it
Besides the Pros and Cons, Kahoot is a great tool with vast features, and the teacher or student-paced learning can unlock the potential of one-to-one environments. It helps teachers make any lesson interactive whether in the classroom or virtual by putting up challenging game-based quizzes. How to use it is simple.
A teacher can create interactive presentations that can contain Quizzes, Polls, Videos, and more.
The students can access a teacher’s game quiz presentation through a code and the teacher then moves the class through the lesson and lets students interact with the media as they go.
Teachers that use Kahoot can share quiz code, where the student controls the flow of the game-based questions. This mode is perfect for remote learning, hybrid learning, sub days, homework assignments, or independent work. The app is web-based and works on any device with an internet connection.
How to Create Free Kahoot Account
You can Kahoot free by creating an account on the website. You should think about the kind of quiz/game you would like to create before you proceed. Click on the “Sign up” button located in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage. Select your account type (teacher, student, personal, etc.) and choose your workplace (school, business, others. You’ll be required to provide an email and create a password for your account. Here are the complete steps:
1. Visit https://kahoot.com/ on your browser.
2. Click “Sign Up” in the upper right corner of the homepage.
3. Select Sign Up As a teacher.
4. Select Sign up with email.
5. Click the “Sign in” page and enter your email and password.
6. At the “Permission requested” page, select Accept.
7. Click on the “Your account details” page and enter all required information.
8. Select from the available plans. You check out the feature that suits you by going through the plan. If you want Kahoot basic features, navigate down the page and select the basic version for teachers.
How to Create Kahoot Game Quiz
1. Once you are on your account dashboard click on the “Add” question button and select “Quiz” and add the options.
2. Click on “Start typing your question” at the bottom of the screen, after which set some answers for your student to choose from.
3. Choose a background color for the answer options.
4. After setting all the questions for your Kahoot game quiz, click on the “Done” button on the left top corner and you will be required to add a title and description. This is optional.
5. To find out if everything is working well, you can test your game by playing it. Now you share the code to your Kahoot quiz with your students.
I hope this article helped you?